Jim is a litigation lawyer and past President of Blakinger Thomas and past Chair of the Civil and Commercial Litigation group. During more than 35 years of practice he has represented individuals and organizations in civil and commercial litigation in state and federal courts, including jury trials and appellate matters. These include professional liability, personal injury, construction, and business disputes.
His land use practice includes being the Solicitor to the Lancaster County Board of Commissioners when they established the nationally recognized Ag Preserve Program. He has represented developers of multi-million dollar projects including retirement communities, commercial centers, residential developments and alternative energy projects. He successfully represented land owners in three cases that defeated eminent domain takings of property and many others in obtaining just compensation after a taking. Jim also serves as both an Arbitrator and Mediator in alternative dispute resolution of claims.
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D.
- Millersville University, B.S., cum laude
- Pennsylvania, 1974
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1985
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1975
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1977
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in 2010 – 2018
- Service Award, Lancaster Bar Association, 2007
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- American Association for Justice
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Lancaster Bar Association (Past President, Past Chair-Judiciary Committee, Past Chair-Municipal Law Section)
- Civil Rules Task Force for the Court of Common Pleas of Lancaster County, Member
- Lancaster County Board of Elections
- Mennonite Home Retirement Communities (Board of Directors)
- Sharing Programs, Inc. (Board of Directors)
- Lancaster Bar Association Foundation (Past Chair)